When peering into the jewelry case, you’ll no doubt be enticed by the cushion cut diamond. With ample facets and plenty of sparkle, this show-stopping stone shape is certain to catch the eye. Unsurprisingly, these diamonds have exploded in popularity over the past few years, becoming the choice cut of jewelry influencers like Kim Kardashian, Gabrielle Union, Sofia Vergara and Leighton Meester. But if you’re new to the world of diamonds and engagement rings, this cut can be a little bit intimidating. We’re here to help you decide if the cushion cut diamond is one you want to rock (pun intended).
All About the Cushion Cut Diamond
What is a cushion cut diamond, exactly? In short, these are square or rectangular diamonds which feature slightly curved edges. When viewed from above, cushion cut diamonds look like a soft square with rounded edges, similar to a seat cushion (hence the name). They may have dramatically curved edges, making them more pillowy and soft, or harder and straighter edges, giving them a more square or princess cut inspired look.
You’ll find these diamonds in both square and rectangular (elongated) options, but square is much more common and rectangular is somewhat rare. What settings are best for cushion cut diamonds? These cuts vary greatly in depth, making them a great choice for a wide variety of settings. Unsurprisingly, their popularity has coincided with the rise of halo settings because they look absolutely gorgeous when haloed by a ring of smaller sparkly stones.
Explore our semi mount ring settings to get some ideas on settings for a show-stopping cushion cut stone!
Types of Cushion Cut Diamonds
There are many different names and descriptors floating around out there about the cushion cut diamond, but it helps if you focus on the two main categories of cushion cuts. While these two distinctions are important, the most important thing to consider when choosing your cushion cut stone is aesthetic — simply put: what looks best to you? — as well as depth, color and clarity.
- Antique or Chunky — What is antique cushion cut? Otherwise known as a cushion brilliant cut or old mine cut, this one is the closest to a round diamond with a squared-off edge. It features many facets for plenty of sparkle, but boasts a more antique look. They aren’t as common as their more modern counterparts, making them a great choice for the wearer who likes to blaze their own trail. With that said, the antique or chunky cut may show more flaws than the crushed ice option.
- Crushed Ice Cushion — What is crushed ice cushion cut? Also known as the cushion modified brilliant cut, this option is the more radiant and sparkly option. They feature many more facets than other types of cushion cut diamonds, which means they’re a bit more sparkly and eye-catching. Because of the more complex and intricate faceting pattern, the crushed ice or modified brilliant option is often better at hiding a stone’s flaws.
With these considerations in mind, we don’t recommend getting too hung up on the different types of cushion cut diamonds. Looking at a wide variety of cushion cut diamonds is the best way to decide which style you prefer.
Benefits of Cushion Cut Diamonds
Should you go for it and sink into a gorgeous cushion cut diamond? If you love the way these stones look, there’s no reason not to commit to the cushion. Not only are these diamonds gorgeous, radiant and endlessly enchanting, but they’re also a fairly practical option for the modern-day wearer. Here are a few of the biggest benefits of the cushion cut:
- Beautiful. These exquisite settings bring an exceptional amount of brilliance and sparkle, making them absolutely beautiful for the modern wearer.
- Practical. Because they don’t feature any sharp edges like a square or princess cut stone, cushion cut diamonds are a practical choice for those with a more active lifestyle, since they’re less likely to get caught on things.
- Popular. The cushion cut diamond is on the rise and it’s not likely to slow down anytime soon. With so many modifications in shape, cut and setting, the cushion cut diamond is a great choice for those who set and follow trends.
- Affordable. Like any precious gemstone, cushion cut diamonds are priced on a broad scale depending on things like size, color and clarity. However, on the whole, they do tend to be more affordable than other shapes, such as round diamonds.
Find Your Perfect Cushion Cut Setting
Ready to seal the deal with a picture-perfect ring she’ll want to wear for a lifetime? Explore the prettiest Verragio engagement rings to pair with your gorgeous cushion cut diamond!